Saturday, March 05, 2011

What's Wrong with this Picture?

Do you ever look around your house and wonder, when did it come to this? Most every single day, no matter where I look, I find ridiculous things that crack me up and the whole reason is because we have all these kids. Like the other day when I woke up and looked out my window to see, not a beautiful songbird, but a soccer ball in my tree. Funny Family Photos-The Un-Contest
ball in tree.jpg
banana peel.jpg
That very same day I found this: an actual banana peel on the floor of the kitchen. I mean, at what point did my life become a sit-com? Are Larry, Curly and Moe lurking in the dining room, just waiting for their first opportunity at slapstick? And how is it that a child eating a banana doesn't notice an entire peel fall to the floor? You'd think one of the two American Girl dolls who've been sitting at the kitchen island counter for the past week and a half, because someone has ignored us when we asked her to bring them back to her room (A-hem), would have had the common decency to say something to prevent a potential trip to the emergency room.

guitar pick.jpg
And what about the guitar pick in the dish rack? How does a guitar pick end up in a dish rack? A particularly virulent riff? A go at the intro to Rush's Limelight gone bad? Does anyone else's house have flying guitar picks in the kitchen?

I still hadn't even left the kitchen when I noticed this: My cats eating dinner on our Crate and Barrel sushi plates. Perhaps with most of the dishes getting washed in the dishwasher, there was a dearth of plates left in the cupboard. And perhaps there is some sort of degustative symmetry to cats eating their Friskies Classic Pate Salmon Dinner on a plate made for fish, but the sushi plates? Really?
sushi plates.jpg

What I want to know is, am I alone in this insanity? Please tell me there are other moms out there who have the same sort of craziness in their houses. Because, unfortunately for me, I've befriended quite a few moms whose homes are so pristine and seem so un-touched by life, it appears no one lives there at all. I like to imagine living in a house like that. Maybe new construction where everything is perfect and in order and there's no dirt. Anywhere. Sigh. Although I suspect this kind of order and control is its own sort of insanity. And I do eye their drawers and closets with suspicion.

So help acitymom out here. Send me a photo, a sign, a lifeline. (kim(@)kimstrickland.com) Or, if you don't want any photographic evidence out there, then just a short description of something crazy in your house. Anything to let me know I'm not alone here.


No comments:

Post a Comment