Saturday, December 04, 2010

Little Black Dress Dilemma

My husband and I are going to a Christmas party tomorrow night and I'm in a dilemma about what to wear.  I have several little black dresses and the difficulty is in deciding which one.  It's an office party. My "office." And while I want to look, you know, sexy, I don't want to err on the side of hoochie mama. Because, after all, who ever wants to err on the side of hoochie mama?

I thought having a daughter around would be a great help in situations like this, but it's a bit trickier than I'd anticipated. It's not that my daughter isn't helpful. She is. And she has an amazing sense of style.  With a hairband and some ponytail holders, in nothing flat, she can do her hair up in the coolest fashions.  When I bought her curtains for her canopy bed, I forgot to get tiebacks for them, but when I came into her room the next day, she'd tied them around the posts in such a way I immediately told her she had a future as an interior decorator.  
        
Her fashion sense, well... Did I mention she's from Russia? I've spent a lot of time in that country and, for a woman who spends the better part of her life in a blue polyester uniform, or jeans and a sweatshirt, let's just say I didn't blend. When my daughter first arrived here, her critique of my aforementioned fashion sense was swift and severe.  Seems I never wore enough make-up. Simultaneously wearing all the jewelry in my jewelry box was still not jewels enough.  And whenever the time came to help me pick out an outfit, the tighter, the louder, the sexier the better. And don't even get me started on high heels.
     
But back to my point. I basically have it narrowed down to two dresses for the party.  The first is a silk Calvin Klein. It's conservative, not very form fitting, but with the right jewelry, could be great.  The second has lace over skin-tone fabric on top, is low cut and has a form fitting tulip skirt.  I secretly really want to wear this one, (Is it still a secret if I announce it here?) but this is the one I fear leans toward hoochie mama.
         
At work, I've only been seen wearing a most unflattering uniform, complete with a man-tie and a hat, and the thought of wearing the less figure flattering Calvin Klein pseudo-tent feels, well, like more of the same. But it's the other one, the form-fitting one, that my daughter loves.  Keep in mind her taste in clothes, and I think you can see my dilemma.
     
I still have some time to decide.  I can make my daughter happy and risk joining the ranks of all the poor women before me who've had the misfortune of donning what they considered a sexy dress, only to become the woman at the party who was wearing "that dress." Or I could show up in a Calvin Klein yurt.
       
Whatever I decide, if after the party I'm remembered at all for what I was wearing, I can only hope, at the very least, it was for an ill-advised little black dress, and not a lampshade.

No comments:

Post a Comment