Friday, October 29, 2010

Creepy Trumps Trampy

I sent my daughter to school today with a bloody lip. But she was asking for it.

And, sick as it may sound, I kind of enjoyed giving it to her. Except for when the blood dribbled too far down her chin and I had to sop it up with a tissue, and then later when she put on her new, white, winter coat and I had to yell, “Watch out! Don’t get blood on your coat!”

Yes, my daughter went to school today for her Halloween party dressed as a “Vamperina.” I’m not sure what this is, exactly, perhaps a morbid cross between a vampire and a ballet dancer, (which makes me grin, considering how much trouble I’ve had dealing with ballet teachers lately) but it does involve wearing a costume I think is much too sexy for an eleven year old girl. I made her wear a T-shirt underneath the top, which looks too frighteningly similar to a Merry Widow for my liking. I mean, are they hiring pedophiles to design Halloween costumes these days? And this costume is made for young girls. The size on the package says it fits Juniors Size 0 to 9 (and don’t even get me started on size 0). I have to admit the girl on the front looks cute wearing it, but somehow when the costume was on my daughter, it looked all wrong. Maybe I’m just a prude at heart, forced to suddenly face my inner Phyllis Schlafly when confronted with my own daughter looking one minute older than her eleven years.

My daughter wanted to wear make-up, too and, of course, I let her, because after all that’s what Halloween is all about. That’s what makes it fun—dressing up like someone you’re not. This is why my favorite go-to costume consists of black clothes and a pointed witch hat, because it’s easy and means I get to look like someone I’m not, even if I am only one letter away.

The T-shirt underneath and the blood dripping from her lip did make the costume, helping to transform it, at least in this mom’s eyes, from trampy to creepy. Creepy I can live with. And she’ll probably be able to wear the leggings again.

We won’t, however, discuss the fact my son went to school today dressed as a drunken pilot, because as everyone knows, the apple doesn’t—no, wait. Because as everyone knows, Halloween is about pretending to be something you’re not.
Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. Some of those risque costumes are great for us adults who are trying to squeeze into them. But on my 9-year-old daughter? No Way. She is going as a zombie little red riding hood. Grandma made the costume and it goes almost all the way up to the neck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love the Zombie Little Red Riding Hood!! Maybe Grandma would make that costume for me? Thanks, as always, for your comment. Judging from comments on my FB page, I think this one struck a mother of daughters nerve.

    ReplyDelete